Photography FAQs

Here at the UCLA Extension Photography program, we offer a variety of courses to improve your technical skills and your creative eye. Courses range from Introduction to Digital Photography to our Master Photographer Series, and can be taken individually or as part of a Certificate Program.

Below are some of the questions I often hear from students.

Q: Where can I see a list of the photography classes you will be offering?
A: You can download a PDF of the current catalog here.

Q: I’ve had my DSLR camera for a few years, and have done some independent shooting, but have never taken a class. How do I know what level I’m at?

A: Introduction to Digital Photography covers the following topics:

  • Aperture
  • Shutter Speed
  • Depth of Field
  • Focus
  • ISO
  • File management (including coverting files, tagging, file batching and archiving)
  • Basic Lighting Skills (including contrast, direction, color, white balance, histogram)
  • Composition (including framing and perspective)
  • Digital imaging (including an introduction to Adobe Lightroom)

If you feel confident in your knowledge of the topics listed, you are ready to move on to an intermediate-level course. If your understanding is hazy or you struggle with some of them, the introductory course would be the best place for you to refine your skills and get a solid foundation of technical understanding. Many students who are not technically “beginners” take an introductory class as a way to test their current abilities and for the challenge of assignments and instructor critique.

Q: What is the application process to take courses with UCLA Extension?

A: There is no formal application process. As the continuing education arm of UCLA, Extension courses are open enrollment. Students may enroll online, or by phone at (310) 825-9971.

Q: Who are your teachers?

A: Our instructors are professionals currently working in various fields of photography. They have valuable real-world experience that they are eager to share in the classroom. Most have online portfolios that can be found by searching their names.

Q: Can I transfer Extension class units to UCLA, or the grad program of my choice?

A: Maybe! That is entirely up to the admissions office of the school to which you are applying. They may ask you to e-mail course descriptions or class syllabi to an admissions counselor, which we would be happy to help you obtain. If you think you might want to try to transfer course units at some point, be sure to take your courses for a Letter Grade (as opposed to “Not for Credit”).

Q: Can I visit a class on the first meeting to see if I like it, even if I’m not enrolled?

A: Students may visit the first meeting of courses that are 10 weeks in duration or longer. However, many courses fill up quickly, so if you are interested in a course, it’s advisable to enroll early to ensure you get a space. All students must be enrolled by the second class meeting.

Q: How many students are there in each class?

A: An average class will probably have 15-18 students – the limit for most courses is 20.

Q: Who should I contact if I have more questions?

A: You can reach our office at (310) 206-1422, or send an e-mail to

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

windows-10-key windows-10-iso windows-10-product-key windows-10-activation-key windows-10-pro-key windows-10-education-key windows-10-enterprise-key windows-10-home-key windows-7-key-sale windows-10-key windows-7-key office-2016-key office-2013-key office-2010-key